Hot soup that’s filling, nutritious, and hits the spot…without many calories at all
By Chantzy Weinstein
Want to enjoy a hearty, filling no-guilt side? This all-veggie minestrone-style soup hits the spot. I like to save the chopping work and use a vegetable chopper to chop up the vegetables (then they’re nice and even too). Add shredded cooked chicken to your soup and make it a complete meal.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (or 2 frozen cubes)
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 zucchini, peeled and diced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 Splenda packet
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano tsp
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon onion or chicken soup mix
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté the onion until soft and translucent. Add garlic and carrots and saute for 3-4 additional minutes.
- Add celery, zucchini, and tomato and continue stirring for 5-8 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, Splenda (or sweetener of choice) water, and all spices. Simmer for about 1 ½ hours.
Chantzy Weinstein is a makeup artist, Simcha Bike Tour participant, Spin instructor, enthusiast cook, and a “Queen of Lists.” Follow her on instagram @chantzyw.